Sunday, August 11, 2013

Simply wanting to understand your food (#SimpleSunday) – By Shannon

My story, and why I’m so conscious about what I eat.

During the last few years I have become extremely interested in the food that I consume.  Unfortunately, the food we eat today is very different than what our parents and grandparents ate growing up.  I always considered myself a “healthy” person.  I ate what I thought was good for me (which looking back was not necessarily the best) and never had any health issues.  This changed in the early 2000's when I suddenly started to have allergic reactions.  One incident left me in the hospital on Christmas Day during one of the worst snow storms the East Coast.  It was scary, and I started to really wonder, why all of a sudden am I having these problems?

The hospital recommended I get an allergy test, and I was quite surprised by the results.  I found out I had numerous allergies that I did not have growing up as a child.  Some of the food related allergens included nuts (tree and peanut), peas, carrots, avocado and coconut.  I didn’t understand how I went from someone that could eat whatever they wanted, to someone that now had to worry about how the foods were prepared and exactly what the ingredients were.  It was a tough time for me, and I actually started to develop a bit of anxiety every time I ate out.  I was so afraid that I would have another allergic reaction.  I had a few incidents, but thankfully did not end up back in the hospital.

My health continued to suffer.  I never really felt good and was constantly trying to maintain or lose weight.  I got sucked into the trap of eating a lot of so-called convenient and “healthy” processed foods (think of the healthy options that you can find in the freezer section) and low calorie/no and low sugar alternatives.  I was frustrated, confused and really didn’t know how to make the situation better.

I remember the day when I started to understand what was happening to me. I found a research article that talked about the rise in allergies and other sicknesses being connected with the increase of genetically modified products.  It ALL made sense now - the timing…the food…the allergies.  The food I was eating was making me sick, and it was time to change.  I was on a mission to get back to a healthy place.

Click here for an article that talks about the research and the potential effects of GMO products.

I’m still trying to figure it all out, but I’m in a place now where I’m feeling better than I have in a long, long time.  I try to stay away from processed foods and eat real, nutritious organic foods.  I’m also happy to be able to share this information with others, in the hopes they can avoid some of the problems I've had to deal with.

Genetically Modified Organisms (GMOs)
GMOs are organisms that have been genetically altered or changed.  Genetically engineered (GE) seeds were introduced commercially in 1996 to develop “Round-up Ready” crops, meaning they are developed to survive the chemicals that are sprayed on them.  In addition, some of the crops are engineered to produce toxins that kill pests.  “According to the California Department of Food and Agriculture, 70% of processed foods in American supermarkets now contain GE ingredients” (cited from OrganicItsWorthIt.org). GMOs are heavily found in corn, soybean and cotton crops. 

Natural Vs. Organic
Natural does not have a defined and enforced regulation (except for meat/poultry/eggs, where there are some loose guidelines), while organic does.  So called “natural” products may indeed be processed, contain hormones, antibiotics and artificial flavors.

Check out this definition of “natural” from the USDA site:

Natural. As required by USDA, meat, poultry, and egg products labeled as “natural” must be minimally processed and contain no artificial ingredients. However, the natural label does not include any standards regarding farm practices and only applies to processing of meat and egg products. There are no standards or regulations for the labeling of natural food products if they do not contain meat or eggs.

So basically this is telling us that “natural” means absolutely nothing in regard to produce/crops.  In regard to meat, poultry and eggs, a farmer could in theory inject his animals with hormones and feed it GMO feed, but process it in a certain way and be labeled  and marketed as “natural”.  What does this tell us? Be VERY leery of the natural labels.  I’m not saying every “natural” label is going to be a bad product, but every “natural” labeled product isn’t going to be good either.

Another thing I will point out is it is very expensive for a farmer to gain the USDA Organic seal.  So there are many farms that are doing the right thing in terms of growing/producing their animals and crops, but don’t have the money to become certified organic.  There is another non-governmental program called “Certified Naturally Grown” where smaller scale farmers can certify that they are using truly natural methods.   
    
Here is a great guide from the USDA to better understand what the various labels and marketing tactics mean.  It is up to us to educate ourselves, because there is a lot of deceptive marketing happening.

Organic means the production of the food was heavily regulated and they followed the farming or production practices created by the USDA.  Here is the definition from the USDA website:

Organic is a labeling term that indicates that the food or other agricultural product has been produced through approved methods. These methods integrate cultural, biological, and mechanical practices that foster cycling of resources, promote ecological balance, and conserve biodiversity. Synthetic fertilizers, sewage sludge, irradiation, and genetic engineering may not be used.

If something has the organic seal, it should also be non-GMO.  Here is an article from the USDA that explains this.

Hopefully this helps you to better understand the various types of food that are available and what you should be looking for.  It is so important to be educated about what you are eating, because not everything is good for you.

Sources:

If you have any questions, please email me at TeamFitini@gmail.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment